Tuesday, November 27, 2001

from my mom:

I drove to Phoenix this afternoon for a meeting with our state senator and the CEO of COPE. Guess you could say I'm cautiously optimistic....
It seems my talk with the consumer services rep from CPSA a few weeks ago did have some impact as they are now focusing on a recovery model of treatment for Daniel rather than a stabilization model only. They have gotten him enrolled in the World of Work program at the U of A and he's supposed to start next week. I had told the CPSA person about it a few weeks ago after learning about it from the leader in our Family to Family support group I've been in for the last 12 weeks. It's like a vocational rehab course for people with mental illness.
In the past COPE never referred people to it. Also, they must have said something to him to get him motivated to get his GED done as he's started that again.
I had told the COPE people that I was concerned they were not encouraging recovery and they were focused only on med compliance and treatment. He's also sleeping at night and getting up in the late morning if he has no appointments instead of staying up all night. The COPE man also informed me today that they are in the process of building a few small apartment complexes where functioning mentally ill people can live with supervision and encouragement to get jobs, etc. He said they have Daniel in mind for it. The senator was very helpful in pinning him down when I asked questions that he tried to dance around. The COPE man (his name is Pat) and I are planning on getting together again soon so that he can give me a clearer picture of what their treatment plans consist of and what services are available for the families. Also, he is going to help me decipher the statutes on confidentiality.


i think the part saying how she's feeling "cautiously optimistic" best describes my reaction.

damn. i am the blogging queen these past few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home